Monday 12 September 2011

Gyming it

So tonight I'm on a mission, a mission to buy clothes suitable for the gym. I think I've screamed it accross Facebook and Twitter enough times already so I may as well blog on it too, whilst the fires of enthusiasm for this are still hot!

Now I'm pretty lazy, I won't deny it, and I can fully admit to being happy to slog it around infront of a computer screen. Becky and I have mentioned a few times now that we should start going for walks to try and kick our weight in the ass...but for one reason or another we've mentioned it then never brought it to fruition...possibly because, honestly, I hate walking...

But do you know what I don't hate? The gym...and I think the main thing about it that I enjoy is the whole gadgetry thing.

Our exercise bike at home, aside from not having very much resistence, is litterally you sit and pedal, but there's no feed back, no input. My Wii Fit on the other hand, once again, can easily have a couple of hours spent on it because it gives feedback and that keeps me motivated. I like aiming to burn x number of calories. Time isn't a motivating factor mind you...I hate time...time is my enemy...if I say I wanna aim to do 30 minutes...I find myself clock watching.

I think it's probably because I can't control time though...and I don't achieve time. I know I can aim to do 30 minutes, but for half that time I'll be fidgeting and not giving it my all. Aim to burn 300 calories though, or bike a mile etc, it doesn't matter how much time it takes, I burn it off and I have control over it.

I'm probably talking a load of nonsense so I'll just sum it up...the clock is just not gadgety enough for me!

Anyhow.

After having started reading Weight Wars and a small loss during the Beat The Heat challenge, it's really been hitting home to me that I really do need to start working out more and more intensely than I can with what i've go to hand in my flat if I'm going to beat this beast once and for all. I've always toyed with the idea, but it's been even more half hearted than my dieting attempts.

It all got started though because I wanted to do C25K. I've never taken up the challenge however because I know I'd be on my own and whilst some people brick it at the thought of going to the gym my thought has always been that the gym is there to help keep fit and loose weight...running through the streets in broad daylight infront of the general public of Liverpool on the otherhand makes me break out in a cold sweat, so whilst I've toyed with it on various occasions, I've always ruled it out.

But it was whilst talking to Ben about my wish to accomplish C25K but not on the streets that he said it...why don't we get a gym membership.

I always said that once I got a job I would invest, and so far I've been put off because I thought I'd be on my own...but since Ben has expressed an interest and said yes indeed we shall go...I am frankly extatic! Everything seems to be coming together...the scales are moving, my will power is improving, I know what it is I'm fighting for, my motivation is better than ever...this is just the next step in it all and I'm thrilled to be taking it!

We will be booking our induction after pay day and getting a joint total gym membership (so that I can take advantage of their classes...zumba and xbiking and eventually, hopefully, I'd like to get some yoga on too) and in the mean time I'm investing in some basic clothes suitable for it all as I haven't anything at all that is suitable for working out in (doesn't matter if you do Wii Fit at home in nothing but your bare skin, the instructors WILL kick you out for this in a gym!) and of course shopping being a favourite thing of mine I'm really in my element.

And of course this is all kicking off as Rebecca at Weight Wars prepares to host this autumn's seasonal challenge after doing such a stella job of it over the summer. This challenge is most definitely going to be all about health and fitness and weight loss for me...I did mostly lifestyle and "to do list" type things last time so this time I'm taking the opportunity to keep focussed. Of course by the time we start gymming it the challenge will be a couple of weeks in so I won't be able to incorporate anything specific regarding that into my goals but it will definitely be there in one way or another.

I'm sorry but I have to say it again....ridiculously excited about this, and springing the next step of kicking my rear into gear into action!

Till next time,
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I made using my Wii Fit a goal for a challenge once ... I think it was the Spring challenge, maybe? To do a certain number of minutes a week. It's certainly do-able, and a fun way to get a workout in!

    There's really nothing like going to the gym, though. Especially when yours offers classes - they can be a lot of fun, and it's just nice to be around other people who want to get healthy. I used to be nervous about going to the gym - what if people judged me? Until I realized everyone else there probably was thinking the same thing, and we were all there for the same reason. No one is there to judge me, everyone is just their to make progress on living their healthiest life possible. And from then on, I loved the gym. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?