Wednesday 10 August 2011

Weight Watchers, anyone?

So, I've been contemplating treating myself to a 3 month Weight Wathers Online subscription with my shiny shiny pay cheque. I know of people who have had great success with WW, but I know probably twice as many for whome it did nothing. That, however, seems to be more to do with them not sticking to it correctly than there being a flaw in the programme.

I dabbled briefly once with Slimming World and it didn't go well. I had even less will power than I do now (Yes, that is actually possible) and after the first week in which I had some initial success I basically fucked it off. Everything was on paper and I didn't like the group leader. Frankly she was a self righteous bitch, but hey that might just be me.

It put me off meetings, I didn't want to be patronized and spoken down to like just because I'm fat I know nothing about how to loose weight or stay healthy (I know quite a bit, I just have more....psychological issues/lack of willpower/issues surrounding being a lazy bones). So I've shied away from it all, and besides, WW was just a fancy way of counting calories that you have to pay for (the old system based the point content of any given food on the calorific content and fat content) and I could count calories for myself just as (if not more, since most foods have calorie content written on the packaging) easily and for free.

I first started reconsidering my attitude towards WW when they brought out their highly publicized propoints system which takes into account not only the calorie content and fat, but other nutritional values such as carbohydrate, protein and fibre. It means that fruit which once cost one or two points is now free, and foods that are both filling and nutritious are promoted through their lower points values.

At the time I was having my first round of success with calorie counting alone so I continued onwards. I got my second interest in WW however when I saw how awesomely it was helping my sister in law out. She kinda talked me round to it in a big way. However, I was a little too skint to pay out for the membership.

I'm still not thrilled with the idea of going to meetings, and having looked the meetings up I don't think I'll be able to make them with my new timetable anyhow, but I'm definitely going to give the online version a go. Having noseyed around it looks like a flashier version of MFP but with more tools (a recipe database for example). I think actually paying for it will help (Im a sucker for getting the most out of my money), and as anything gadgety gets me hooked I'm sure I'll love working out the points value of all my favourite recipe's.

The other major reason I think this could help me more than mere calorie counting is that I have to face it, whilst I can and do stay within my calorie limit I'm not eating particularly healthy or nutritious meals. I've tried to track my macro nutrients on MFP in the past but it's such a big juggle it's ridiculous, so hopefully if I stick to lower point scorring foods I'll be automatically doing that. Plus at the minute, you know, I have to count all my fruit...I won't have to on WW so I'll probably be inclined to eat much much more!


Anyhow, I'll let you know how I fare on it of course. It may be a huge waste of money, or it may be the best thing I ever did.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I hate meetings too... I didn't need a support group, I just wanted a way to lose weight that worked! haha. For what it's worth, my mam swears by the Slimming world 'food optimising' and it's my go-to when I want to lose weight (also it seems that pro-points is WW's attempt to poach SW ideas... It all gets very territorial doesn't it!? I know I could never do WW. There is an online version of SW (https://online.slimmingworld.com/register/) which I used (sucessfully) when I was trying to control my weight, (actually I've just looked at the website, it's changed a little since I used it)

    whatever you do, good luck! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever you decide, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I thought about Weight Watchers - the meetings sounded helpful, and I was really interested in collecting the charms for meeting goals (it's a silly little thing, but I wanted it bad!). I decided against it, though, because I didn't want to memorize point values - it works for some people, but it just wouldn't be right for me. I think the best thing about weight loss is that there is no one right, true way to do things - you just keep trying stuff until you figure out what works for you, and then you go with it.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?