Sunday 10 April 2011

Day 26 - What kind of person attracts you?

Once again this could be a pretty ambiguous, in what way do you mean attract? That said, I'm assuming it means romantically. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to list the things, and that makes me giggle a bit because it makes me think of the song "21 things I want in a lover" by Alanis Morissette.

I remember when the album Under Rug Swept first came out. A friend of mine got hold of it and we listened to it through. We thought it was odd. I'm sure we weren't the first people in the world to think Alanis was odd, though with age I began to appreciate what she was singing about. At the time, however, I can't even describe it, something about it just sat strangely with our young brains. Most of all 21 things. We, for some reason, thought this was a very pretentious song, and the things she listed seemed very particular indeed.

Hmm. I'm going to have to dig the album out and give it another listen now methinks.

Anyhow, todays topic most definitely reminds me of this song, so here is my list of 21 things that I want in a lover
  1. Be able to take a joke. Sometimes I take no prisoners. Sometimes I'm just a dufus and don't think before I speak, so it's very important that you can take it!
  2. Have a thick skin. Not just to be able to deal with me but because weak people turn me off. I need to mother and protect such people, and whilst I'm not saying I can't or don't mother and protect my beloved (because I clearly do) it will only go so far before it gets in the way of my ability to ever see someone that way
  3.  Be flawed. People who present a "perfect" picture of themselves are usually too wrapped up in being perfect to actually pay attention to anyone else but themselves, and sorry, but I can't abide with being sidelined by someone elses ego when I have to so constantly work at curbing my own!
  4. Be a good listener. Ok there are times when Ben will start going on about something or other. Some racing series I give a shit about, or wrestling or something and I'll totally blank him. And then there are times when I'll start talking about "oh my god my virtual horses are dying! Oh my!" and he will blank me. But when it comes to the important stuff, we're very attentive. This particular point is none negotiable. I've tried to make it work with people who were less than attentive to what I had to say and, well, obviously it just didn't happen.
  5. You have to be ultra patient because I'm very trying, and I couldn't cope with someone who hasn't the patience to put up with some of my bad habits.
  6. Can't be too skinny. I like to cuddle, and I don't like it when bones stick into me :p
  7. Gotta have an interesting accent. This stems from the fact that I listen more than I talk (generally) and I like to listen to something pleasant :p
  8. Gotta appreciate creativity. I never really thought my parents appreciated mine (except, golly gosh, anything to do with music!) and so now that I'm an adult and don't have to hide it away I can't be dealing with anyone who has the same attitude as them in this regards.
  9. Gotta be able to hold an intelligent conversation.
  10. Never mind just being able to talk about it, you need to be intelligent full stop. Once again, I've tried out the alternate and it ended up really bad. For him.
  11. Some people who are intelligent try to sit on the fence and dont seem to have any opinions. It's as if they're afraid of offending or getting it wrong. No no no no no. You need to have opinions, even if they're not mine.
  12. And with regards to said opinions, you have to be able to realise that arguments or debates surrounding differing opinions really don't matter and you shouldn't take them personally. Agree to disagree and all that jazz.
  13. I'm not bothered about a "perfect body". What I do require, however, is some nice arm definition. Mmmmm....
  14. You have to give a shit about your fellow man, I couldn't ever see myself with anyone who just didn't care for the human condition.
  15. The same old same old here...you need to be able to make me laugh!
  16. You need to have an appreciation for the "finer" things in life. Good food especially. I don't mean all of the time, I'm not that kind of person anyway, but so long as you are partial to partaking in such wonderful things then we're going to get along famously.
  17. You need to be able to socialize at least SOME of the time! 
  18. You need to be politically aware. That's straight from Alanis's list I admit, but it's the truth!
  19. You need to be up for experimentation. I don't necissarily mean in only one particular area.
  20. Along with that, being adventurous in general is desirable.
  21. Send me flowers once in a while!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Great list. I totally agree on the opiniated thing. They have to have strong opinions but still be open to knowing that not everyone will agree with them.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?