Saturday 30 April 2011

The Hat of Power...

I've been feeling a bit uninspired with regards to blogging recently, though that's not to say I haven't been on and tried to write. Every time I sit down it seems to lead to a massive personal rant about genuinely insignificant things that have been ticking me off. But then something happened yesterday and I cannot help but mentioning my astonishment.

The thing that happened didn't happen to me. In fact it had nothing to do with me. It happened down in London and was broadcast via the BBC right into my television set. The thing that happened was...





 When the Princess first stepped out of the car the feed cut back to the Queen in the Abbey, and I couldn't quite bring myself to believe what I'd just seen...I wondered if it was a trick of the camera angle but...did she have a pair of antlers on her forehead? When she later reappeared on the camera, and showed her profile to the world, my worst fears were confirmed.




I'm not a fashion expert, you can ask anyone who knows me well. But whatever is or isn't in fashion, some things just don't look good. There's no doubt this extravagent piece is expertly err...sculpted...but with the greatest respect to Beatrice (because hand on heart, I love the royals, I love everything about them and I love watching them go about their perculiar little lives and wouldn't wish any of them ill) I would sooner imagine that particular little motif (I say little...it's bigger than her own face!) as a piece of plaster molding on the wall of some great and extravegant palace. God knows it's the right colour for it!

There are bigger problems in the world than the poor taste in headgear that seems to plague this poor princess (who has a bit of a reputation now for wearing everything but the kitchen sink on her noggin) but I do have to wonder...what were you thinking? Didn't you know it's rude to try and upstage the bride?

I also wonder whose idea was this. The milliner responsible for the eye catching creation was one Philip Treacy, who kitted out 36 guests with their headwear including Mrs. Beckham. She apparently had a hand in the design and it was rather sleek and elegant considering the event (a royal wedding is just prime candidacy for the wierd and wonderful in hat wear after all.)





I mean just look at it...it's a world away from that monstrosity gracing Beatrice's forehead (and it is her forehead, just how it passes for a "hat" per se is also beyond my fashion retarded brain). There can only be one conclusion...that she herself must have said "I want something that sticks from my forehead like a pair of antlers".


Well anyhow. Other than that I quite enjoyed watching the wedding yesterday and wasn't the Bride just lovely? According to my sister, mum kept going on about how much her wedding dress was like mine but to be fair I had a full lace overcoat as opposed to Kate's short bolero type thingy....All I can say is...I'm the wedding hipster, I was wearing lace over my dress before Kate Middleton :p
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Am I the only one who thought Posh spice had miss-read the invitation and dressed for a funeral?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of agree with Becky, she did look like she was in mourning. Maybe she should have gone for the bluer side of navy blue.

    And Mr Beckham was looking more like the kind of man I could stare at all day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, yes I think he's getting better with age. But with him it's more like cheese than wine haha.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?