Thursday 24 March 2011

Day Seventeen - The years highs and lows

I've been tugging around with this one all day. See, the past year if we're honest was hard. It was so, so very hard in many ways. It wasn't without its good days, and in some ways we've had worse years. It's hard to look back on a year and paint it black or white. I was always a very "shades of grey" kind of person. That said, I think the past year would have been a very dark grey indeed.

And so in the spirit of not mulling over things that have been mulled, chewed, spat out and chewed over yet again, I am letting the lows of this year pass by. Everyone who is anyone to me knows the lows, and actually if you take a look at my last post, the major low is already there. There weren't many mega huge highs as such, but I can count off the happy things for sure!

  • Ben was given his permanent contract at work just over a year ago, and this has seen us much better off financially
  • I've been much more sociable this year and have seen much more of my dear friends. I have, in particular, grown much closer to Becky this past year. She's a star and I'm so greatful we've become such good friends.
  • Laila has been able to visit Liverpool more, which always brightens up any gloomy old month!
  • Seem to have seen much more of my family, always a blessing.
  • Ben cut off his hair for charity. This may seem a strange thing to list as a high...indeed his long, golden curls were one of the things that initially attracted him to me in the first place (I like long haired men!) but actually, his hairline wasn't receeding and he wasn't going bald on top when I first met him. Now, not only have we been able to raise some cash for a great cause but he also no longer looks quite as ridiculous as he did before!
  • I came off my anti depressants about a year ago and have not been to the doctor regarding my depression in that time. This is a great thing. I have had low moods...but unlike before, they have usually lasted only a few days, a week at most, unlike before when they'd last for months and result in terrible things.
  • I was able to give up a certain, horrible vice of mine.
  • Ben and I celebrated 5 years of being together and 2 years of marriage ^_^
  • New Years was an absoloute blast, as was the Christmas girlie night out
  • Despite the little wavering moment we had recently, Ben and I have made some big decisions and are working towards making our lives together go in the direction that we want.
  • I discovered the joys of embroidery
A lot of minor little things there. This year there were no huge victories for us. However, each year brings its own happenings and you must take the good with the bad. If you can't appreciate the little things, we'd all be going crazy by now!

On a different note, since I wrote my last blog I've been very good and have scored 2 days of sensible eating. That's 2 victories for me! This may not seem big...even to me it's no huge feat that I've never been able to accomplish before..however, as of my recent behaviour, it's really fantastic. Right now I'm feeling pretty peckish, and I could just devour a kebab or some such thing...but I'm not going to, because I'm taking each day as it comes, and for today there is no junk food. Tomorrow is tomorrow, yesterday was yesterday, but for today I have done my best and can go to bed feeling happy with myself for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?