Friday 4 February 2011

Haunted sewing machine

So, the lovely Becky came to my flat today to help me get to grips with that old sewing machine my folks brought down on Tuesday. I had been itching to get started so I could start sewing up my pretty new cushions, and it's been sat, looking at me all week.

So we started with the basics, and Becky showed me how to thread it up. Pretty simple. I then go on to sew up a couple of pieces of random fabric my Gran sent down to practise on. I was amazed to see that i could sew in a straight line (something that had always eluded me at school and put me off even glancing sideways at a sewing machine for ten years or so).

Encouraged by my progress, I repositioned my fabric to have another go. As I was doing so, the needle began to move all by itself...slowly at first but then by the time I got my head around the fact it was going at a hundred miles an hour, bam bam bam in one spot. I of course, panicked.

"Becky! What's it doing?!?!"
"Are you pressing the pedal by accident?"
"No!!!!!"

For a split second we sit a little confused, litterally a split second before the common sense to unplug the pedal from the machine came to me. And then...

"Can you smell burning?"

It was like toast.

So now I am left with an old sewing machine that I am unable to use thanks to its fried up pedal, unless I find a midget slave to stand by my coffee table and turn the wheel for me while I guide the fabric. Or just a regular sized slave, only kneeling down.

The day was not lost though, and as always I had a lovely time with my guest. I even got to model her hat. God knows I love to pose, so even though she's already posted this on her blog I'm going to post it again here.



I know becky thinks her photography skills are a bit sub par, but I think this photo is very slimming, and so has put me in a great mood, especially considering I put on *mumble* pounds this week thanks to meals out with parents and a naughty little takeaway Ben and I had earlier. Still, I'm pretty sure given how quickly it came on I'll be able to loose it again by next week, and for that reason (and for reasons of shame) I'm not logging it on MFP. Cheating? Perhaps. But we just went grocery shopping and have stocked up on healthy stir fry, salad and pasta type dishes of healthy goodness. God bless the humble salad!

So anyway getting back to point. Yes. Lovely day, sewing machine caput. Will get to sewing cushion covers by hand for now till we can rectify the situation. Gotta get on the exercise bike cause I'm a fatty.

Ooooh Jonny Wilkinson just came on from the sub benches to play for England...now theres someone I could loose some weight with...ahem..

Yes tonight is the first match of the Six Nations rugby tournament. I'm not a huge sporting girl, though I love my F1, but I dabble in a little football (Proper football, as in, that sport where you kick a ball with your foot :p) and rugby from time to time and Ben and I are having quite a time watching England tear up the Welsh. There's only one minute left and we're 7 points ahead. I hate to be pre emptive but....well, it's a good start to the year of sport for English teams, anyway ^_^

And with that, I leave you for now. Oh, wait, yes, there we go. England beat Wales. *happy dance*

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?