Monday 7 February 2011

Short and sweet today

Monday, February 7, 2011
If you could take over the life of any character from a book or film and be them for a week, who would you choose?

It would have to be, without a doubt, Polgara the Sorceress from David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series.

Till Later Folks!

But seriously though...she's pretty much experienced everything you can do, she is "the paramount lady" of all the world (her world, anyway). And she can pretty much do whatever she likes. I think I'd like to be able to do as I please with almost unlimited power for a week. And since I'm assuming I'd get to have all of her experience stored up in my brain from having taken over her (and it is experiences that define a character in my opinion) then I'm thinking a week or so in the life would be sufficient. Like...if I became Harry Potter, for example, I think I'd loathe to give it up, but if I'm a character that has pretty much seen just about everything there is to, then a week would be enough to satisfy my curiosity before returning to my own mundane life.

Also, I'm finding it quite difficult to write because, frankly, as hard as life is and can be, I don't think I really would like to swap it for anything. If it changes of its own accord, then that is one thing, but being transplanted into something else for a week? Why torture yourself with knowing you've had a tiny glimpse of something you'll never be able to have wholly anyhow.

I'm happy to live out my life as Bex, a character in my very own storybook, and happy to narrate it here for you to participate in :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?