Saturday 16 July 2011

The last of the Potters pt. 2

Well, this was never meant to be a two parter, but since it's my first entry since actually seeing the film (and as today has been such a wonderful, relaxing day which seems to have gone by far too fast and really nothing much at all has gone on to blog about) it may as well be.

It was absoloutely magnificent. I said to Becky before we went in that I'd probably shed a few tears by the end of it. I was one of the few people who wasn't actually crying at the end as it turns out, but not because it didn't touch me...merely because my powers of holding back the tears in order to maintain my eyeliner so I don't have to bus home with streaky cheeks is phenomenal. It was quite a tear jerker, for a number of reasons;

  1. The end is so happy! Yes, they include the epilogue, and you know, it's always weepy to see a new, happy generation spawned from the loins of your good friends. Not that Harry Potter is a good friend, but you know...the children! Awww...
  2. Everyone dies. And whilst the deaths aren't the same as Dobby's death when he dies there right before your eyes, it's still terrible and sad.
  3. Although I maintain it isn't the same kind of "end of an era" thing as when the book came out, there certainly aren't any more Harry Potter films left. All I have now is Twilight, and that just isn't the same...
There's really not that much to say. If you've read the books, you'll know how close to the story the films have always kept and this was no different. If you haven't read them, well you'll certainly not want me spoiling it any more than I already have. I watched Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone this afternoon when it was shown on ITV and it's amazing how much the effects etc have come along. It was very shiny, full of action.

Oh yes, once again, if you've actually read the books you'll already be expecting a much more action packed spectacle than part one, and if you haven't, then don't let the last films more dull sequences bore you. Part two hits the ground running, then doesn't stop till the end.

No film is perfect of course, but I find it hard to think of anything majorly poor, all things considered. I suppose Bellatrix's death was a little underwhelming, though amusing (if death ever can be funny) death by ulta tight corsetry. Voldemort's death too was a bit underwhelming...not the death itself, but the duel at the end just...well it just wasn't how I pictured it in my head. I can't fault the film for not being able to read my mind. Once again, because of the solid and dedicated fan base the directors had a hard job on their hands when it came to bringing such an epic scene to the screen.

All in all I can't wait to see it again when my folks come down...and if they decide they don't want to see it...then I can't wait to watch all eight films back to back :D

Till later folks,
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I saw it too, and I liked it a lot. It wasn't my favorite movie, though - I like Goblet of Fire the best!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?