Friday 15 July 2011

The last of the Potters

Well, after yesterdays total flunk out and spitting out my dummy, I've woken up today feeling full of energy and happy sparkleness (yes, that is totally a real word, and completely a viable emotional state!).

Of course, this may have something to do with the fact that in ten hours time I'll be hunkering down in the cinema with my popcorn, ready and waiting for....





There've been some tearful moments in the world of Potter recently. The cast gave an emotional goodbye at the premier last week, and all over people are saying it's the end of an era.

I don't quite feel the same way. To me, it's the end of a hangover of an era. The kind of hangover that makes you sit up and think "wow, what the hell just happened?". To me, the end of the era was when I turned the last page of the book, screaming "OH MY GOD" at Ben.

Incidentally, that's how I end all the books I love having read them the first time. It's just how I roll.

Don't get me wrong, I love the films. I remember when the first film was released. There was so much expectation, so many breaths to be held. It could have gone spectacularly wrong, of course, what with the massive fan base with all their expectations, but I looked on it with the attitude that I just wanted to see if it looked "in real life" like it did in my head. To my astonishment, it really did...not perfectly, of course not, but there was no mistaking who was who, what was what, where was where, it was all there. That is a testament not only to the skill of the director and his crew, but one hundred percent to JK Rowling and her skill as a writer.

The movies to me are like the cherry on the top of the cake. It's all very razzle dazzle, complete and utter eye candy. Brilliant stuff, don't get me wrong. And the way it all played out, seeing the cast grow up together, not just the children but the older members too, that was something really special.

But as much as I know I'm just going to love tonight with every bone in my body, and I'll be out there in a few months time ready to get my grubby mits on the box set when it inevitably comes out, and yes of course I'll shed a tear when everyone dies (I remember before the book was released, Rowling had said that a main character dies which may upset some people, but by the end of it, all I could think was "well, who was she talking about, because actually, pretty much everyone is dead now...") but it won't be the same Earth moving calamity and feeling of loss and "ending of an era" to me that everyone is hyping it up to be. The era has already ended, this is merely the after party.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?