Saturday 9 July 2011

Recipe: Cheap and dirty home made Curry

This recipe was adapted from a Hairy Bikers recipe. I've always wanted to try making a curry from scratch, but the constraints on our budget this month meant that I couldn't go the whole hog and pay out for things such as cinnamon sticks. Still, all the other spices, fresh or dry, can be bought for mere pennies if you check out your supermarket own brand. The only thing on this list of ingredients that I payed more than £1 was the meat.

Servings: 2
Calories per serving: 551 (approximately, curry only, please make allowances for rice etc)
Cost per serving: £2.50 (approximately, I have no idea how much a teaspoon of any given spice is!)

Ingredients:

All the yummy ingredients...guess where I shop! Also, curse blogger for not displaying the picture correctly! Ah well...
  • 2 tbsp Olive oil
  • 310g Lamb (I'm using boneless lamb leg steaks)
  • 2 Onions
  • 4 red chillies
  • 4 cloves of garlic 
  • Approximately 1tsp fresh root ginger
  • 1tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1tsp ground turmeric
  • 1tsp ground cumin
  • 1tsp garam masala
  • Tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
  • 1 lime
  • Salt and Pepper to season
Preparation before cooking
  • Chop lamb into bitesized chunks
  • Roughly chop onion
  • Finely chop fresh spices (garlic, root ginger and chillies)
  • Measure out dry spices 
All the measured out and chopped up dry and fresh spices. Note that I cannot "finely" chop chillies or garlic for toffee
     Method
    • Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a big pan  to a medium high heat
    • Once sufficiently heated, add your chopped up lamb and brown all over
    I hear action shots make for great blog posts...
    • Add another 1 tbsp olive oil along with the onions and fresh spices
    • Once the onions are turning brown, add the dry spices and stir well for a minute or so
    • Add the tomatoes, stir in well 
    At this point, the concoction should look like this.
    •  Reduce the heat to simmer for an hour. Remember to check back regularly and add a splash of water if the curry begins to dry out
    Another action shot! Inside my square cauldron a feast is bubbling up...just in case you were wondering, our kitchen is tiny and we don't have room for an actual oven, so we have this massive electric pan which is the best thing in the world EVER and in the background there is a miniature countertop electric oven which is the second best thing ever because it gets hot enough to make a roast in and the hob gets hot enough to steam veggies on but not hot enough to make pancakes :(
    •  Once cooked, squeeze in the fresh lime juice then serve
    The final product before the side dish is added (in today's case that would be roast potatoes which may seem odd for going with curry, but savoury rice makes me ill). Oh dear I seem to have splashed some when serving :o so messy...
    So it doesn't exactly look like the most appetising thing in the world, but imagine it served on top of a bed of rice or in one of those stainless steel curry dishes you get in restaurants, with a bit of fresh corriander sprucing it up like a little green hat and then it looks much nicer! Anyone who hasn't tried a curry before now (I know curry isn't quite as popular in the USA as it is here in the UK) don't be put off by the appearence of my meagre offering on a pitiful little dinner plate.

    And how does it taste? Well to be honest, it was so spicy it burnt off my taste buds and I only managed to get a real taste in the first couple of bites. Next time I'm going to halve the ammount of fresh chillies I use as this seems to be the source of much of the heat. As for the flavour, it was quite aromatic and I'm proud to say not at all flat or two dimensional...if a flavour can be two dimensional lol. I hope you get what I mean! The first assault on the senses is the heat from the chillies, but then you bite into the lamb and you get the lovely earthy flavours (I always thought lamb had quite an earthy flavour). This is accompanied by the aromatic flavours of the spices, and then as you swallow it's all topped off with the fresh tang from the lime. Quite a flavoursome experience, and that really surprised me being that I cooked it with my own two hands.

    But the curry king here abouts is Ben, he being the one who introduced me to curry as a regular dish in the first instance. What do you think Ben? Is this as success? One for the recipe journal?

    If you look carefully, you can see smoke emerging from his mouth from where his taste buds are slowly being burnt off
    I think that's a yes!
    Photobucket

    1 comment:

    1. That looks SO good! I *love* curries. One day this summer, I'm going to walk the 11+ miles to the Indian neighborhood in Chicago and enjoy a curry lunch!

      ReplyDelete

    What do you think?